Obama's Energy Stance as Capricious as the Wind
The plan sounds like the other Democrats' plans. New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, a former energy secretary, introduced a more audacious plan in May that he'll soon publish in book form. New York Sen. Hillary Clinton has often spoken of a need to use energy for job growth, and last week presented a policy address touting a pro-science agenda.
The Energy LobbyIn his address today, Obama attacked those in Washington who he says are against energy reform:
"There are some in this race who actually make the argument that the more time you spend immersed in the broken politics of Washington, the more likely you are to change it. I always find this a little amusing. I know that change makes for good campaign rhetoric, but when these same people had the chance to actually make it happen, they didn't lead."
Although he's careful not to mention her by name, Obama appears to be maintaining his attack on Clinton for her ties to lobbyists.Obama, however, voted in favor of the much lampooned 2005 energy bill, which energy expert Gal Luft called "the sum of all lobbies." The legislation was an example of the Bush-Cheney policy that Obama himself decries: "I'm in Washington. I see what's going on. I see those powers and principalities have snuck back in there, that they're writing the energy bills and the drug laws." The bill offered huge subsidies -- 80% of the subsidies -- to oil companies like Exxon Mobil (XOM).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV