Obama's Energy Stance as Capricious as the Wind
Today in New Hampshire, Sen. Barack Obama announced a
But the plan presents a problem for Obama (D., Ill.) because he voted for the controversial 2005 energy bill. The bill, which gave subsidies to oil firms, was described by
The PlanEnergy advocates and candidates argue that U.S. dependence on oil has two negative effects. First, oil creates a security problem. Many nations with large oil reserves, including Iran, Saudi Arabia, Russia and Venezuela, do not necessarily share our goals and interests. Second, a failure to diversify stymies scientific progress. Alternative energy could spur investment and create jobs, allowing America to take the lead in an important sector, as we have lead in information technology.
Obama hopes to cure these problems. His plan would introduce a cap-and-trade program to reduce greenhouse gases. He would invest $150 billion in energy over the next 10 years to make the U.S. a global energy leader. Finally, he wants to increase energy efficiency while reducing dependence on foreign oil.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV