Losing Half a Million on NetBank's Fall
The most interesting reader feedback from
Applied Cognetics had a million dollars in uninsured NetBank deposits. It looks like he's out about half that amount.
"I was one of NetBank's first customers back in 1998," Coulthrust says. "I moved to them after being turned away from three different banks who did not understand our business and refused to open a business account for me."
Applied Cognetics is a software developer, specializing in providing its online marketing and lead-generation platforms to Internet marketers and the consumer-finance industry. The company also provides automated underwriting engines for lenders.Later, as his business grew, Coulthrust opened several business accounts. Only recently did Applied Cognetics keep larger uninsured balances with NetBank, so he had never considered the risk of having uninsured deposits. "I found out about NetBank's failure last Friday when I logged into the Web site to check the status of incoming wires," Coulthrust says. After seeing the announcement of the bank failure and the transfer of accounts to ING Direct Bank (a unit of ING Group (ING)), Coulthrust immediately called several customers and asked them to hold back their wires.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV