Midway Games Guides Lower
SAN FRANCISCO -- Video game publisher Midway Games (MWY) warned that it will miss its financial expectations because of delays in the release of key titles this year and lower-than-expected sales of its latest game, BlackSite: Area 51.
For the third quarter, Midway expects to post a loss of 33 cents, wider than its previous guidance of a loss of 23 cents a share.
Excluding charges, it expects a loss of about 27 cents a share, compared to its prior estimate of 17 cents a share. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial were expecting a loss of 22 cents a share.
Revenue for the third quarter is likely to be $39 million, lower than its previous estimate of approximately $50 million. Analysts are expecting revenue of $51.7 million.Midway attributed the shortfall to its decision to release its game, Stranglehold, for Sony's (SNE) PlayStation 3 console in the fourth quarter rather than the third quarter, and the delayed release of another title, Unreal Tournament 3, for the PS3 into the first quarter of fiscal 2008. Midway also said the company is seeing
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV