Four Stock Plays on Air Travel Abroad
There is always room in a portfolio I manage for something that has a high yield that does not correlate highly to the U.S. stock market.
Last week Babcock and Brown Air (FLY) debuted. This company will take the proceeds from its IPO to buy a fleet of 47 planes that it will lease to airlines all over the world.
The idea is to have leases of varying lengths and terms and then pay sizeable dividends to its share holders. FLY will pay a dividend of $0.50 per quarter, which works out to an 8.7% yield.
While I may be the last to know, it turns out there are several other public companies in essentially the same business.Your first thought might be that the airline industry is a mess. While that is true in the U.S., it is a different ballgame in India, China and South America. Short flights in these places are now accessible to many more people than in the past and the airlines serving these markets need airplanes. Leasing them from FLY and its competitors ties up less capital than buying a whole fleet. In addition to FLY, I was able to find three other companies that lease planes to airlines, although there may be others.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV