Target-Date ETFs Could Make or Break XShares
XShares, the sponsor of the HealthShares family of ETFs, needs a big hit. Its new target-date exchange-traded funds, which offer one-stop shopping for investors with a specific time horizon, may just fit the bill.
The five TDAX Independence funds, which were developed in partnership with discount broker TD Ameritrade (AMTD) and launched on the NYSE Monday, are the first ETFs aimed at this fast-growing segment of the retirement market. They are also the first ETFs to invest in both stocks and bonds.
XShares has struggled to find a market for HealthShares, launched in January, and has experienced some management turnover. Nat Wasserstein, president and head of development for XShares Advisors, left last month, just days before William Henson was hired as chief executive of the parent company, XShares Group. (The CEO post had previously never been filled.)
The 19 HealthShares are possibly the least successful ETFs launched this year and an embodiment of how betting on highly specialized products to stand out in a crowded industry can backfire.Each Healthshare tracks a narrow sector of the biotech industry. As of Friday, the entire family had just $96.2 million in assets under management, with HealthShares Diagnostics (HHD) holding the most, at $32.7 million. That means the average assets under management for the remaining 18 funds comes to a paltry $3.5 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV