Friday's Health Winners & Losers
After an enthusiastic midweek hop, biotech stocks rounded out a blasé end-of-week performance with business updates and legal matters Friday.
Celera (CRA), however, emerged as a winner. The company said Friday it received a $2 million milestone payment from Merck (MRK) for the advancement of odanacatib for osteoperosis into a phase III clinical trial.
Celera, an Applera (ABI) subsidiary, and Merck have had a collaboration agreement since 1996 on a program targeting cathepsin K, an enzyme believed to play a role in osteoperosis. Merck has been sole responsible for research and development since February 2003.
Celera shares gained 3.7% to $14.05. Applera was unchanged. Merck was 1.2% lower at $51.65.Other stocks dealt with the aftermath of business updates: Idenix Pharmaceuticals (IDIX) lost ground after announcing a
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV