Cooper Hill Closing Down
Decade-old healthcare-oriented hedge fund Cooper Hill Partners is closing up shop.
A series of funds managed by the New York-based alternative investment company were reporting average Sept. 11 year-to-date losses of more than 10%. The downward action compelled investors in the fund, which managed some $300 million in assets, to head for the hills.
Cooper Hill had been a long/short player in a number of healthcare and biotech company names including Amylin Pharmaceuticals (AMLN), Genentech (DNA), St. Jude Med (STJ) and Assisted Living Concepts (ALC).
Rumors of Cooper Hills' slide had been floating around Wall Street since late August. Calls to officials at the firm's New York office were not immediately returned.In a letter distributed to investors announcing the funds' closure, portfolio manager Alex Casdin said declines in asset values and redemptions caused strains on the firm's infrastructure. "In short, we were faced with a situation where we could not guide for the long term while looking in the rear view mirror," Casdin wrote. The closure of the hedge fund was first reported by hedge fund industry newsletter Alternative Investment News.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV