iRobot's New Products Could End Up Lonely and Unloved
Shares of iRobot were off 35 cents, or 1.7%, to $19.64 in recent trading. The company' stock is down almost 20% since news last Monday that it lost a much-anticipated
With ConnectR, its communications robot, iRobot seems to be digging deeper into a niche market.
The ConnectR robot links to a home wireless network and provides VoIP-quality video and two-way audio. The device has a full tilt-and-zoom video camera, speaker, microphone and headlight to enable its users to interact with people in the home as if they're in person, says iRobot. The device is steered around the house through a computer.
The company is hoping ConnectR will appeal to families, but its $500 pricetag could bring sticker shock to many potential customers.iRobot has a pilot program starting later this year to make it available to select customers for $199, but the company isn't accepting new participants into the program. The high price and the device's lack of a clear value proposition could make its prospects dead on arrival. "It's a niche concept product that may not even make it to full mass production," says James Ricchiuti, an analyst with Needham, in a note. Needham has an investment banking relationship with iRobot and makes a market in iRobot shares.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV