iRobot's New Products Could End Up Lonely and Unloved
Shares of iRobot were off 35 cents, or 1.7%, to $19.64 in recent trading. The company' stock is down almost 20% since news last Monday that it lost a much-anticipated
With ConnectR, its communications robot, iRobot seems to be digging deeper into a niche market.
The ConnectR robot links to a home wireless network and provides VoIP-quality video and two-way audio. The device has a full tilt-and-zoom video camera, speaker, microphone and headlight to enable its users to interact with people in the home as if they're in person, says iRobot. The device is steered around the house through a computer.
The company is hoping ConnectR will appeal to families, but its $500 pricetag could bring sticker shock to many potential customers.iRobot has a pilot program starting later this year to make it available to select customers for $199, but the company isn't accepting new participants into the program. The high price and the device's lack of a clear value proposition could make its prospects dead on arrival. "It's a niche concept product that may not even make it to full mass production," says James Ricchiuti, an analyst with Needham, in a note. Needham has an investment banking relationship with iRobot and makes a market in iRobot shares.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV