Wednesday's Health Winners & Losers
Updated from 1:32 p.m. EDT
Overall, clinical results and an array of announcements put health stocks in promising water on hump day -- though there's always an exception.
CollaGenex Pharmaceuticals (CGPI) fell on results of a phase II dose-finding study designed to evaluate the safety and determine the therapeutic range of incyclinide for the treatment of rosacea. The patients who were administered incyclinide didn't demonstrate a greater reduction in inflammatory lesions than the placebo arm at any point during the study, and thus the company is ending clinical development of incyclinide for rosacea patients. CollaGenex, which said it is planning to conduct additional development work for incyclinide for acne, fell $1.78, or 16%, to $9.35.
Other health care companies gave positive results, sending their stocks in the other direction. Alkermes (ALKS) and Indevus Pharmaceuticals (IDEV) announced positive preliminary results from a phase IIa clinical study of ALKS 27, an inhaled formulation of trospium choloride, in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). The companies said single doses of ALKS 27 produced a rapid and statistically significant improvement in lung function over 24 hours compared with placebo.Alkermes gained $1.24, or 7.4%, to $17.92, and Indevus up 0.9% at $6.68. They're both components of the Nasdaq biotechnology index, which was up 7.96 points, or 0.9%, to 858.21. Also, Nektar Therapeutics (NKTR) reported positive results from phase I and preclinical studies of NKTR-118, an oral therapy for opioid-bowel dysfunction (OBD), including opioid-induced constipation (OIC).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV