Tuesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
McCormick & Schmick's (MSSR) was among the biggest small-cap losers Tuesday in a mostly down day for the sector.
Shares plunged 23.1% after the Portland, Ore., seafood-restaurant chain sliced 5 cents off the low end of its prior third-quarter income guidance to about 16 cents a share. Same-store sales are now pegged to be flat vs. the prior forecast for a gain of between 1.5% and 2.5%, and the total-sales estimate was lowered by $2 million from the earlier low end to roughly $88 million.
Thomson Financial's estimates call for 22 cents a share, less extraordinary items, on total revenue of $90.6 million. McCormick shares lost $5.78 to $19.28.
Another small-cap name, Panacos Pharmaceuticals (PANC), slid 21% on news chief financial officer Peyton Marshall had resigned. VP Robert Pelletier will replace him in the interim. Shares of the Watertown, Mass., biotech company were off 53 cents at $1.99.And Standard Pacific (SPF) sank 10.6% after UBS began coverage on the Irvine, Calif., homebuilder with a sell rating. The move comes a day after the company priced a $100 million convertible-senior-bond offering and eliminated its 4-cent quarterly dividend. Standard Pacific shares shed 75 cents to $6.30. That helped pressure the Russell 2000, which also harbors McCormick, as well as the S&P SmallCap 600. Both trackers were lately losing around 0.4%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV