Friday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Cytomedix (GTF) was one of the biggest winners, both among small-cap stocks and overall, amid a mostly bullish session Friday.
Shares of the Rockville, Md., biotech company skyrocketed some 125% after the Food and Drug Administration approved its wound-closing AutoloGel System for use on various sorts of ulcers, as well as for the management of mechanically or surgically debrided wounds. Shares soared $1.47 to $2.64.
HandHeld Entertainment (ZVUE) also rode high after the maker of Zvue portable media players announced that comScore Media Matrix has named it the "fastest growing Web property" for August, citing a 327% surge in unique U.S. visitors to its Web-based network vs. July. Shares of the San Francisco-based company vaulted more than 65% to $2.90.
Elsewhere, Cowen & Co. started coverage on Savient Pharmaceuticals (SVNT) with an outperform rating, saying its proposed gout treatment Puricase -- meant for patients who haven't responded to other treatments -- is promising and has significant revenue potential. Shares leapt 81 cents, or 6.1%, to $14.06.The Russell 2000 and the S&P SmallCap 600 added 0.4% and 0.1%, respectively, boosted by gains at both Savient and at Genesco (GCO), which filed a lawsuit seeking to force Finish Line (FINL) to close the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV