Trading Shines at Goldman
Goldman Sachs (GS) shined through the dark clouds hanging over Wall Street, as strong trading results powered its third-quarter numbers past analysts' estimates.
Goldman made $2.85 billion, or $6.13 a share, for the quarter ended Aug. 31, up from the year-ago $1.59 billion, or $3.26 a share. Revenue surged to $12.33 billion from $7.58 billion a year earlier.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial were looking for a profit of $4.35 a share on revenue of $9.57 billion.
"Given the difficult environment of the third quarter, many of our businesses were challenged," said CEO Lloyd C. Blankfein. "But overall, the quality of our franchise produced strong results as clients continue to look to us for advice and execution. The strength of our client relationships, the diversity of our businesses, and the talent and teamwork of our people continue to drive our performance."
| How high do you think Goldman should trade after this report?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV