Credit Crunch Continues, Thornburg Exec Says
Fed interest rate cut or no, providing loans for mom-and-pop types still will prove challenging, Goldstone says. He adds that people's difficulties in obtaining financing for credit cards and automobiles also may translate into bad news for the economy.
"There is a constricting credit environment and it threatens to permeate a lot of different areas of the market," Goldstone says.
A lot of real estate still needs to be liquidated at a time when home values are falling sharply, Goldstone adds.
Santa Fe, N.M.-based Thornburg has seen the problems the credit market can cause first hand. The jumbo loan originator, which provides loans to homebuyers who need to borrow above the Fannie Mae (FNM) cutoff line of $417,000, has had to scramble to raise cash to fund its loan business. The problem started when investors grew skittish about rising defaults on mortgage-related debt.Over the past few weeks, Thornburg has sold $20.5 billion of its safest investments in order to generate funds. The mortgage lender also raised cash by selling a $575 million stake in itself and borrowing funds against $1.44 billion of mortgage assets in order to finance its lending business. The lender has not been alone in its maneuvering. The largest U.S. mortgage lender, Countrywide Financial (CFC), has had to seek funding assistance from Bank of America (BAC) to keep itself afloat. Smaller players such as Impac (IMH) and NovaStar (NFI) have been cutting jobs, eliminating dividend payouts and generally trimming their sails.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV