Credit Crunch Continues, Thornburg Exec Says
Thornburg Mortgage (TMA) operating chief Larry Goldstone applauds Tuesday's Fed rate cut but says his industry is still facing tough times ahead.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke cut the benchmark fed funds overnight lending interest rate by 50 basis points. The Fed said it feared that disruptions in the credit markets could seep into the economy.
Shares of financial companies rose sharply on the news, as investors breathed a sigh of relief. And Goldstone says he believes the Fed will continue to cut rates through year-end, to 4% from the recent 4.75%.
But Goldstone tells TheStreet.com that even with rate relief, credit worries will persist -- and the housing and mortgage industries are far from out of the woods."The moves that
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV