Allergan Acquires Esprit Pharma
Allergan (AGN) said Wednesday it will acquire Esprit Pharma in a $370 million deal that expands its stance in the genitourinary market.
Allergan expects the all-cash transaction, in which it will pay $370 million for all outstanding securities of privately held Esprit, to close in the fourth quarter. The deal sparks a new licensing agreement with Indevus Pharmaceuticals (IDEV).
Esprit licenses from Indevus and currently markets twice-daily Sanctura, a treatment for overactive bladder -- OAB. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration recently approved an extended-release once-daily formulation, Sanctura XR. Allergan anticipates launching Sanctura XR in the first quarter and said it will increase Esprit's sales force.
Pending the close of the acquisition, Allergan said it expects Esprit will contribute revenue of $6 million to $12 million in the fourth quarter of 2007. With the launch of Sanctura XR and the increase in Esprit's sales force taken into consideration, Allergan believes the transaction will be dilutive by 4 cents to 6 cents a share, excluding items.Allergan said it still anticipates upper-teens earnings growth in 2008, based on the pretransaction 2007 guidance of $2.16 to $2.18 a share it provided with second-quarter results. The company said the transaction should be significantly accretive to earnings and revenue after 2008.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV