Dollar Slides Against Euro
Updated from 12 p.m. EDT
The euro climbed to an all-time high against the greenback Tuesday after the Federal Reserve chopped its fed funds target rate by a bigger-than-expected 50 basis points.
The euro was recently buying $1.3970, up from $1.3867 late Monday in New York. The yen was little changed at around 115.72 to the dollar.
Elsewhere in the currency markets, the British pound was stronger against the dollar, rising to $2.0124 from $1.9964 earlier in the session. Along with the rate cut, there was increasing confidence in the U.K. that the Bank of England may be able to avert a banking crisis.Action in sterling has been dominated for the last two sessions by news that depositors were scrambling to withdraw funds from ailing lender Northern Rock. Relative tranquility seems to have returned to the market after the government promised to guarantee savers' money at the troubled bank, and shares of Northern Rock rallied in London trading. The exchange-traded funds that track the foreign exchange market were mixed. The CurrencyShares Euro Trust (FXE) was up 0.7%, and the CurrencyShares Yen Trust (FXY) was down 0.4%. The ETF that tracks the value of the pound, CurrencyShares British Pound Sterling Trust (FXB), was up 0.9% recently. The PowerShares DB G10 Currency Harvest (DBV), which follows multiple currencies, was rising 1.5%. Earlier, earnings news out of Lehman Brothers (LEH), a bank more exposed to the ailing mortgage business than most, had a buoying effect on the U.S. currency. However, the euro gained the upper hand after the Fed reduced rates. Most traders were expecting a 25-point cut. When rates come down, the dollar tends to head lower.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV