Monday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
The small-cap sector was about on par with the worst-performing major index Monday, the Nasdaq, amid sliding names like Central Garden & Pet (CENT).
Shares gave up 9.4% to $9.70 after the California-based company rescinded last week's profit guidance of between 7 cents and 9 cents a share for the fiscal fourth quarter. CEO Glenn Novotny cited continuing problems regarding weather and grain pricing, among others, which have hurt its garden and pet businesses.
The company has additionally postponed its public offering for 10 million shares -- also announced last week -- along with the planned concurrent private placement of 500,000 shares to chairman and founder William Brown.
Trio-Tech International (TRT) plummeted some 33.6%, meanwhile, on disappointing fiscal 2007 results. The Van Nuys Calif., purveyor of semiconductor-testing and burn-in services made $3.3 million this year, or $1.02 a share, vs. $2.90 a share in 2006. Fourth-quarter income dipped a penny from last year to 21 cents a share. Shares were off $5.06 to $10.Napco Security Systems (NSSC) was also among Monday's small-cap losers after the Amityville, N.Y., company's fiscal fourth-quarter income more than halved from last year to $989,000, or a nickel a share. That widely misses analysts' 9-cent per-share consensus, as per Thomson Financial. Shares shed 62 cents, or 10%, to $5.53. On the other hand, UTStarcom (UTSI) flew higher after striking a deal to supply its RollingStream product to Bharti Airtel, an Indian telecommunications service provider. RollingStream allows for television and on-demand programming to be delivered over Internet-protocol networks. Terms were undisclosed. Shares bounced 15.6% to $3.11.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV