How to Choose an IRA Custodian
The following is a transcript of "Money Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for a Richer Life," a podcast from QuickAndDirtyTips.com. The audio program is available via RSS feed here and at TheStreet.com's podcast home page.
Hello and welcome to Money Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for a Richer Life.
Today's topic: How to choose an IRA custodian.
In last week's episode, I explained how to roll over your 401(k) to an IRA when you leave a job. In today's episode, I have some tips on how to choose an IRA custodian.It's possible to open an IRA at many types of financial institutions, including brokerages, mutual fund companies, banks, credit unions, insurance companies, and self-directed IRA custodians. Having so many choices can be overwhelming! As listener Joshua put it in an email he sent me, "When you are in a situation where you want to start your retirement savings, and you have no idea whether you'd be better off just giving the money to the bank, giving it to a mutual fund company, or some other institution, it is so daunting that you just don't do anything." Now, don't let the abundance of choices keep you from taking action! Remember, delay has a cost: during the time you spend in a state of indecision about where to open an IRA, your money could have been growing for you. So here are four tips on how to make a smart choice about which IRA custodian to go with: Tip 1: Choose an IRA custodian with a broad selection of investment options, including a wide variety of mutual funds as well as individual stocks and bonds. Fidelity, Vanguard and Charles Schwab are just a few examples of mutual fund and brokerage companies with broad investment choices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV