Thursday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Updated from 2:34 p.m. EDT
Magna Entertainment (MECA) said it plans to eliminate its net debt by Dec. 31, 2008, by generating roughly $600 million to $700 million from the sale of assets, entering into strategic transactions involving its racing, gaming and technology operations, a possible equity issuance and improved earnings.
The company, an operator of horse tracks and off-track betting facilities, also expects to arrange $100 million of funding to address its immediate liquidity concerns and provide sufficient time to implement the plan. Shares of Magna closed up 19.9% to $2.23.
SteelCloud (SCLD) rose following its latest quarterly results and word of a new contract. For the third quarter, revenue fell to roughly $4 million, a decrease of about 33.7% from a year ago, but SteelCloud's loss shrank to $675,012, or 5 cents a share, from last year's $6.5 million and 46 cents a share.The developer of specialized servers and related appliances said separately that it received a two-year contract from an international networking software company valued at $3 million to $6 million. Shares gained 3.8% to $1.37. Schawk (SGK), a provider of digital-imaging graphic services, has acquired Protopak Innovations, a package-prototyping company with approximately $6 million in annual revenue. Shares of Schawk traded actively, closing flat at $22.50. Evolution Petroleum (EPM) jumped after it said reserves surged by 270% during fiscal 2007 to 1.7 million barrels of oil equivalent. In addition, the present value, discounted at 10%, of future net revenue increased 314% during the fiscal year to $33.3 million. The company acquires mature, onshore oil and gas resources and saw its shares rise 18.9% to close at $2.58.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV