Tuesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Small-cap stocks were buoyant Tuesday on the power of the climbing broad market and good news out of a few sectors.
United Retail Group (URGI) was a big winner, skyrocketing more than 77% on word Redcats Group agreed to buy the plus-size women's-apparel retailer for $13.70 a share -- an 81.5% premium to Monday's closing price. The $198.9 million all-cash deal should close by year-end. Shares of the Rochelle Park, N.J., company gained $5.85 to $13.40.
Nabi Biopharmaceuticals (NABI) shot up 20.9% after agreeing to sell its Biologics strategic-business unit to Germany's Biotest Pharmaceuticals for $185 million. The deal includes the unit's products, certain of Nabi's Corporate Shared Services group assets, and the company's headquarters, among other things.
After the deal closes -- likely in the fourth quarter -- Nabi will shift its headquarters to an existing facility in Rockville, Md. Shares gained 72 cents to $4.16.Meanwhile, G-III Apparel (GIII) surged 20.2% after narrowing its fiscal second-quarter loss by nearly two-thirds from last year to a nickel a share, or $884,000. That shatters Thomson Financial's expectations for a 20-cent per-share loss. The New York-based company also added 8 cents to its full-year income outlook range, now expecting 98 cents to $1.03 a share. Analysts are seeking 95 cents. Shares were trading at $20.57.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV