Monday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
The small-cap sector crawled beneath the struggling broad indices Monday despite surging names like XTL Biopharmaceuticals (XTLB), which announced it began a phase IIb trial of Bicifadine for treatment of diabetic neuropathic (nervous-system-related) pain.
Shares of the Valley Cottage, N.Y., company were up 30.4% to $1.76.
InPlay Technologies (NPLA), based in Phoenix, climbed on word of a purchase-order renewal for its thiNcoder rotary-switch technology. The customer, a "leading supplier of products for the global sleep and respiratory markets," agreed to buy at least one million units through Duraswitch licensees over the next 18 months for a new line of positive-airway-pressure-therapy products. InPlay shares were leaping 15.2% to $1.74.
Elsewhere, management-services firm Versar (VSR) bounced 2.8% after swinging to a fiscal fourth-quarter profit of $803,000, as well as posting a more-than-tripled full-year profit of $5.3 million, or 62 cents a share. Full-year sales soared 68.7% to $102.7 million. Shares of the Springfield, Va., company were trading at $8.94.On the downside today, however, was Cardica (CRDC), which slid 15.4% to $8.39 after A.G. Edwards cut the stock to sell from buy. The analyst said its shares spiked too high after last week's announcement of two pioneering closed-chest bypass surgeries using a Cardica device that automates the attachment of a blood vessel graft to a coronary artery during bypass surgery.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV