Friday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Small-cap stocks languished in the red Friday, under pressure from the broad market and from poor earnings at names like Krispy Kreme (KKD).
The doughnut purveyor sank 36.8% after its fiscal second-quarter loss widened sixfold year over year to 42 cents a share, or $27 million, on slipping revenue of $104.1 million. That includes $22.1 million in impairment charges and least termination costs vs. $382,000 last year as the company closed underperforming stores and divested its Illinois manufacturing and distribution facility.
Krispy Kreme shares sank $2.33, to $4, to pressure the Russell 2000, which plunged some 2%, to around 776. The S&P SmallCap 600 was down 2% to about 409.
The tech sector, meanwhile, delivered a small-cap loser in American Software (AMSWA). Shares slid 14% to $10.08 after the Atlanta-based application-software firm reported that it made $2.2 million, or 8 cents a share (adjusted) in the fiscal first quarter -- 2 cents higher per share than last year, but also 2 cents below the sole analyst's estimate from Thomson Financial.Near the top of today's small-cap winners, however, was China Technology Development Group (CTDC). Shares of the Hong Kong business-software firm soared more than 29% after announcing it's entering the solar-energy sector, having struck a deal to make and sell a product developed by thin-film-photovoltaics company Terra Solar Global. China Tech stock surged $1.41, to $6.20.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV