Enzo Biochem Falls on Court Dismissal
The U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut granted Applied Biosystems' motion for a summary judgment, dismissing all remaining claims in the patent-infringement case filed by Enzo Biochem.
According to an Applied Biosystems' Securities and Exchange Commission filing on Aug. 24, Enzo Biochem, Enzo Life Sciences and Yale University filed the lawsuit in June 2004, arguing infringement of six patents due to the company's sale of sequencing reagent kits, TaqMan genotyping and gene-expression assays and the gene-expression microarrays used with the company's Expression Array System. Four of the patents are assigned to Yale and licensed exclusively to Enzo Biochem.
Enzo Biochem said in a release Friday that it filed a notice of appeal with the court of appeals following the summary judgment seeking recovery for past infringement on three patents based on the work of Dr. David C. Ward at Yale University that expired in 2004."We have every belief that the Federal Circuit will overturn this decision, and that Enzo will ultimately prevail," said Scott Robertson of Goodwin Procter, Enzo's lead counsel in this action. Applied Biosystems gained 2% in the morning but was recently trading along the flat line at $32.21. Enzo slid $5.07, or 28.5%, to $12.70.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV