Friday's Health Winners & Losers
Alnylam and Isis announced the launch of Regulus Therapeutics, a joint venture focused on microRNA (miRNA) therapeutics, an approach to targeting the pathways of human disease. It will be run as an independent company with an independent board of directors and management team.
Alnylam is making an initial investment of $10 million, and both companies will share funding of the venture thereafter. Both companies will grant Regulus exclusive licenses to their intellectual property for miRNA therapeutic applications and patents in the miRNA field. Alnylam and Isis said they'll retain the rights to develop and commercialize on prenegotiated terms miRNA therapeutic products that Regulus decides not to develop independently or with a partner.
Shares of Alnylam added $1.03, or 4%, to $26.88, while Isis lost 24 cents, or 2%, to $12.50. Both companies are components of the Nasdaq biotechnology index, which was down 9.25, or 1.1%, to 827.55 on Friday.In another collaborative effort, Pozen (POZN) said it amended its Aug. 2006 license agreement with AstraZeneca (AZN) and started the phase III program for PN 400, a fixed-dose combination of the proton-pump inhibitor, esomeprazole magnesium, with the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug naproxen, in a single tablet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV