Get Aboard the Mortgage Bailout Plan
Editor's Note: Jon D. Markman writes a weekly column for CNBC on MSN Money that is republished here on TheStreet.com.
With his stunning decision last week to let a federal housing agency guarantee mortgages of distressed homeowners, President Bush appears to have launched a "surge" in the financial markets to match the Pentagon's efforts in Iraq.
His plan seems straightforward: First, use winks and nods to convince his top Federal Reserve appointee, Ben Bernanke, that it would be in the best interest of both men to slash interest rate targets by as much as a percentage point -- and to do it quickly so the move has time to work its magic before the next election.Second, use every lever available in the executive branch to provide a direct, emphatic bailout to overstretched mortgage holders at risk of foreclosure. And third, dump as much as possible of the financial burden for paying for the rescue of voters, aka homeowners, on the nation's banks, rather than on taxpayers. If the market comes to believe his plan will succeed -- and the plan just might -- you can expect a rally in the shares of financial-services providers and homebuilders that will stun even the bulls, with big-cap banks such as Wells Fargo (WFC) and SunTrust Banks (STI) rising as much as 25% over the next 12 months and some beaten-down homebuilders doubling in value.
Another Bush BailoutBush's surge solution for homeowners would, ironically, take a page from his father's rescue of Latin American governments and bankers in 1989 with a set of financial instruments that came to be known as Brady bonds. In that case, U.S. banks had lent billions of dollars to Latin American companies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV