TheStreet.com TV Recap: Apple's a Fashion Play
When examining the powerhouses in the computer field, be sure to differentiate between the fashion stocks and the business stocks, said Jim Cramer on a TheStreet.com TV video Wednesday.
Apple (AAPL), because it's constantly reinventing itself with new looks that appeal to youth, has set itself off as a fashion stock.
"It's truly captured the imagination of youth," he said. "The iPhone is a fashion statement; Hewlett Packard (HPQ) is a business statement. H-P has to be viewed as a corporate play, and Apple as a fashion play."
A company, he said, can't be both. He noted Apple's lack of huge penetration into the hundreds of millions of computers at use in the business world. "Apple has a very exciting product that happens to have tech."However, the company's still found a hugely profitable niche, and because it's found the elixir to constantly reinvent itself, it's proven that it can keep doing that and remain a hugely successful company.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV