Tuesday's Health Winners & Losers
Health indices were boosted by an array of positive clinical trial news to start the holiday-shortened week Tuesday.
InterMune (ITMN) gained after announcing the Food and Drug Administration approved its amended clinical trial authorization (CTA) for ITMN-191, an orally available hepatitis C virus protease inhibitor that it's developing with Roche.
InterMune said in May that it would amend the CTA to take into consideration new information from a phase Ia study that was completed that month. The company expects to begin the phase Ib study this month and to announce initial top-line results in the first quarter of 2008.
The stock rose $2.06, or 10.4%, to $21.83, helping to support the Nasdaq biotechnology index, which added 16.4, or 2.4%, to 830.1.Also winning Tuesday, NeurogesX (NGSX) announced
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV