Tuesday's Financial Winners & Losers
Updated from 2:37 p.m. EDT
Financial stocks tiptoed higher with the broad indices Tuesday after a long holiday weekend, and Triad Guaranty (TGIC) ranked among the winners.
Shares continued to climb 5% on Friday's reiteration that its $80 million credit-facility drawdown, announced last week, was "not in response to any liquidity issues." Triad stock had taken a tumble on word of the drawdown, even though the insurer included this same explanation in the pertinent regulatory filing.
Triad elaborated, late in the trading day Friday, that it had $26.7 million cash on hand as of June 30, as well as a "very liquid" $618 million portfolio of municipal and corporate bonds. Shares leapt to close Friday's session higher, and today rose another 83 cents to close at $17.56.Thornburg Mortgage (TMA), meanwhile, added 3.7% to close at $12.21 after saying it raised $1.4 billion in a collateralized debt transaction, the possibility of which was first announced on Thursday. The Santa Fe, N.M., mortgage lender says proceeds will go to reducing borrowings under its adjustable-rate mortgage loan-warehouse financing lines by roughly $1.37 billion. Friedman Billings vaulted Thornburg's rating to outperform from underperform, and Credit Suisse upgraded insurance company American Financial (AFG) from neutral to outperform. The analyst cited American's overly discounted stock price vs. its peers as a basis for the rating change. Shares of the Cincinnati insurer gained 4.2% to $29.38, lending support to the NYSE Financial Sector Index, which also benefited from Thornburg's recovery. The tracker ticked up about 104 points, or 1.2%, to 9115.60. The KBW Bank Index was up 0.8% to 106.84.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV