Tuesday's Financial Winners & Losers
Updated from 2:37 p.m. EDT
Financial stocks tiptoed higher with the broad indices Tuesday after a long holiday weekend, and Triad Guaranty (TGIC) ranked among the winners.
Shares continued to climb 5% on Friday's reiteration that its $80 million credit-facility drawdown, announced last week, was "not in response to any liquidity issues." Triad stock had taken a tumble on word of the drawdown, even though the insurer included this same explanation in the pertinent regulatory filing.
Triad elaborated, late in the trading day Friday, that it had $26.7 million cash on hand as of June 30, as well as a "very liquid" $618 million portfolio of municipal and corporate bonds. Shares leapt to close Friday's session higher, and today rose another 83 cents to close at $17.56.Thornburg Mortgage (TMA), meanwhile, added 3.7% to close at $12.21 after saying it
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV