Wednesday's ETF Winners & Losers
Overseas-related exchange-traded funds were among the best performers Wednesday, despite a slide in Asian indices overnight.
Japan's Nikkei 225 Index lost 1.7%, Hong Kong's Hang Seng Index sank 1.5% and China's CSI 300 Index shed 1.5%, after partially recovering from steeper early losses. Other indices in Taiwan, South Korea and Indonesia finished lower as well, also after rallying from earlier lows.
Still, investors appeared to take heart in the comebacks. The iShares FTSE/Xinhua China 25 Index (FXI) was higher by $6.65, or 4.7%, to $147.35. The PowerShares Golden Dragon Halter USX China (PGJ) was higher by $1.07, or 4.1%, to $27.22. The SPDR S&P China (GXC) was adding $3.21, or 4.3%, to $77.40. The Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock (VWO) was up $3.23, or 3.7%, to $91.63.
Oil-related bundled securities were higher as crude prices spiked following the Energy Department's latest inventory report. The front-month October crude contract advanced $1.46 to $73.19 a barrel. Earlier, the Energy Department said that gasoline stocks fell by 3.6 million barrels last week. Crude stocks, meanwhile, fell by a greater-than-expected 3.5 million barrels.The Ultra Oil & Gas ProShares (DIG) was gaining $2.91, or 3.2%, to $92.74. The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Oil Equipment Index (IEZ) rose $1.17, or 2.1%, to $57.67. The SPDR S&P Oil & Gas Equipment & Services (XES) was higher by 62 cents, or 1.7%, at $36.48. Homebuilder ETFs strengthened, despite news that Fitch Ratings downgraded its credit ratings on several homebuilders late Tuesday. Hovnanian (HOV), Standard Pacific (SPF) and Beazer Homes (BZH) were adding nearly 4% or more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV