Dykstra: Novartis an Elixir in Queasy Market
With much of the business world expected to be on hiatus for the last official week of summer, many expected a largely uninteresting week. However, Tuesday became interesting after the Federal Reserve released its minutes and the market turned quickly south.
In times like these, it pays to keep faithful to the deep-in-the-money call strategy. DITM calls still leave four to seven months to allow the market to accommodate any short-term fluctuations. Within that time, assuming we make prudent selections, our stocks will enjoy at least one quick move upward on which we can capitalize.
Lately I have focused on raw materials and pharmaceutical companies because these industries provide value for investors, in addition to steady income.
Regardless of various macroeconomic developments, people need their medicines. So now is a great time to invest in Novartis (NVS), which closed at $52.20 on Tuesday.With any company, but particularly in the pharmaceutical industry, cash on hand plays a crucial role in determining investment potential. Novartis has $2.84 billion in free cash flow, which gives it the resources and flexibility necessary to invest in research and development, in addition to partnering with smaller, up-and-coming firms. Furthermore, the company's quarterly revenue growth comes in at a strong 17.6%, meaning that not only does this company provide shareholders value, it also provides strong growth. A company with nearly 20% growth should trade with a forward
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV