Mozilo Cashed Out at Top of Market
But isn't it remarkable how insiders always seem to choose the perfect moment to do this? I've already written about this phenomenon at other big housing-related companies like the homebuilder Toll Brothers (TOL).
After you deduct his stock option costs, Mozilo pocketed $338 million in profits from selling shares while times were good.
Meanwhile, the investors who bought those shares have already lost $200 million.That's 47 cents on the dollar. This wasn't wealth creation. This was just a wealth ... transfer. Mozilo's personal sales continue. He sold more stock just two weeks ago. He's certainly not doing anything illegal. His trades are made through an executive "10b5-1" stock selling program. For the uninitiated, that means he decides many months in advance to sell the stock. The sales are then carried out independently by a broker, over a period of time, and without any further input by Mozilo. It's a common and sensible system that is supposed to let executives sell shares without running afoul of insider-trading laws. Yet Mozilo's most recent sales were part of a program he set up as recently as last December, and amended in February. By that time, of course, the mortgage market was already falling apart.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV