Tuesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Small-cap stocks underperformed the tumbling broad indices for the second straight session Tuesday despite several bouts of good news out of the health-care sector.
Xoma (XOMA), for instance, vaulted 17.5% after saying it has licensed to Pfizer (PFE) nonexclusive rights to its patented antibody technology. Pfizer will pay the Berkeley, Calif., company $30 million cash upfront for the bacterial cell expression technology in addition to "milestone, royalty and other fees on future sales of all products subject to this license, including products currently in late-stage clinical development." Xoma shares soared 40 cents to $2.68. Pfizer slipped 1.5% to $24.39.
(OMRI) jumped 16.5% to $33.86 after the Food and Drug Administration
Elsewhere in the health-care market, Advanced Life Sciences (ADLS) said the FDA granted orphan drug designation (for drugs that treat rare diseases) to its ALS-357 compound for the topical treatment of metastatic melanoma, a type of skin cancer.That designation makes ALS-357 eligible for seven-year exclusivity on approval, in addition to potential tax credits, R&D grant funding and other benefits. Shares of the Woodridge, Ill., company climbed 6.7% to $1.76. Perceptron (PRCP), which makes measurement and inspection technology primarily for the automotive industry, also had a quick rise on positive fiscal fourth-quarter financials. The Plymouth, Mich., company said it swung to a profit of $2.3 million, or 26 cents a share, on sales that surged 61.3% year over year to $23.4 million. Shares lately gained 11.7% to $11.62.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV