Entrepreneurs Reap Volumes From Research Libraries
Research libraries like SIBL are particularly advantageous in that they bring a world of resources to one central location. Marketing reports for textiles and sports are in the same building as trade magazines that even business schools don't collect.
In addition, SIBL provides instant access to Score NYC counselors, contacts for over 300 organizations that assist small businesses, information from the U.S. Government, the U.N. and the E.U., and the ability to dock your laptop into the wired Internet connection to access SIBL's databases.
It's a one-stop research wonderland for those willing to walk through the doors -- or even just visit online, if you're far from Manhattan.
The Good Stuff Is Free
Many of SIBL's most devoted users come from organizations like Score, who send their clients in to find data an entrepreneur couldn't get for free anywhere else.SIBL spends about $500,000 a year on subscriptions to electronic resources, says McDonough. "The really valuable information isn't free," she says. "We feel it's necessary to level the playing field for small businesses." At SIBL, any person can walk in off the street and have complimentary access to what could normally cost hundreds of dollars, such as:
- Reference USA: This product is fantastic for small businesses looking to do marketing, find clients, distributors, suppliers or create their own mailing lists. Through this tool you can search 14 million U.S. companies and in five to ten minutes download a list of about 100 companies to your USB drive, all for free. Stay longer and you can get a list in the hundreds of thousands; the only limit is your time. Elsewhere you would end up paying about $1-$3 per list item.
- MarketReseach.com: This database produces market research reports worth thousands of dollars, says McDonough. Sectors run the gamut from children to Hispanics to the food industry.
- Investment and finance information: Databases like Investext give financial reports by stockbrokers. Many independent financial advisors that use SIBL databases like Value Line (VALU) and Morningstar (MORN) say they couldn't do their jobs without the free access.
- Seminars and hands-on classes: SIBL gives 110 afterwork seminars a year on topics like "Starting a Self-Promotion Newsletter" and active training classes where you can learn, in just over an hour, how to create a distributor list and leave with a list of companies ready to go.
Outside New York CitySIBL is one of a kind when it comes to research libraries. "We provide information at a level that really is much more than many other libraries do," says Madeleine Cohen, assistant director for SIBL electronic services. "Our mission is to help businesses in New York expand."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV