Lehman Brothers Amputates Mortgage Arm
Lehman Brothers (LEH) is closing its subprime lender, BNC Mortgage.
The New York investment bank will cut 1,200 positions in 23 locations as a result of the closing of BNC Mortgage. It will take an after-tax charge of $25 million and a goodwill writedown of $27 million, it said.
Lehman said that poor market conditions in the mortgage space of late have "necessitated a substantial reduction in its resources and capacity in the subprime space," according to a release.
The company said earlier this summer that it was combining its two nonprime residential mortgage businesses -- Aurora Loan Services of Littleton, Colo., which specializes in Alt-A mortgages, and BNC Mortgage of Irvine, Calif. Lehman had begun laying off employees at BNC Mortgage in June.Lehman said it continues to originate mortgages through Aurora's platform. The closing of BNC Mortgage comes as the nonbank mortgage industry implodes. Dozens of lenders that cater to borrowers with less-than-stellar credit histories have closed up shop as a result of rising delinquencies and defaults in so-called subprime loans. Others closing up shop this week include Accredited Home's (LEND) retail unit and Capital One's (COF) GreenPoint bank. Shares of Lehman fell 34 cents to $57.20.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV