Fickle Market Ends Mixed
The homebuilders weren't as fortunate. Banc of America downgraded Toll Brothers (TOL) to sell from neutral and cut Hovnanian (HOV) and Standard Pacific (SPF) to neutral from buy, saying it believes cancellations have been increasing.
All three stocks traded lower.
Separately, RealtyTrac said the number of foreclosure filings in July soared 93% from the same month a year ago to 179,599, illustrating the difficulties facing the housing arena.
Treasury bonds were on the rise. The 30-year gained 9/32 in price, lowering the yield to 4.95%, and the 10-year note added 9/32 in price, yielding 4.59%. Yields on three-month bills rebounded to 3.62% after plunging during the last session.As for the foreign-exchange market, the dollar was little changed against the yen and the euro. Overseas, the People's Bank of China raised interest rates for the fourth time this year as the central bank aimed to control inflation. In Europe, the Bank of England said at least one lender used its lending facility, similar to the Fed's discount window, for the first time in over a month. Hong Kong's Hang Seng Index rose 0.6%, and Japan's Nikkei 225 climbed 1.1% overnight. London's FTSE was up 0.1%, and Germany's Xetra Dax tacked on 0.2%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV