Friday's ETF Winners & Losers
Exchange-traded funds tracking the financial sector were higher Friday, after the Federal Reserve made a surprising cut to the lending rate to banks, calming the turbulent financial markets.
The PowerShares Dynamic Financials (PFI) was rising 67 cents, or 2.8%, to $24.84. The KBW Regional Banking (KRE) ETF was up $2.01, or 4.5%, to $46.80. The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Broker-Dealers (IAI) was adding $2.20, or 4.7%, to $49.90. The Ultra Financials ProShares (UYG) gained $3.04, or 5.6%, to $57.14.
Bundled securities tracking REITs were also rebounding. The iShares FTSE NAREIT Mortgage REITs (REM) was adding $2.58, or 9.1%, to $30.88. The iShares FTSE NAREIT Residential (REZ) was rising by $2.06, or 4.7%, to $45.84. The Ultra Real Estate ProShares (URE) was up $2.28, or 5.6%, to $42.73.
Emerging market-related ETFs were also rebounding from the previous session's selloff. The Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock (VWO) ETF was up $3.20, or 3.9%, to $85.60. The BLDRS Emerging Markets 50 ADR Index (ADRE) was higher by $1.52, or 3.8%, to $41.62. The iShares MSCI Emerging Markets Index (EEM) gained $3.99, or 3.4%, to $122.49.On the other hand, ETFs following U.S. Treasuries were among the only losers during a stronger session for the major averages Friday, as traders pulled money from the bond market and dumped it into equities. Recently, the 10-year Treasury note eased 3/32 in price, yielding 4.67%, and the 30-year bond was losing 10/32, yielding 4.98% The SPDR Lehman Long Term Treasury (TLO) was shedding 21 cents, or 0.4%, to $50.60. The iShares Lehman 3-7 Year Treasury Bond (IEI) dipped 29 cents, or 0.3%, to $101.58.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV