Thursday's Health Winners & Losers
Cell Therapeutics said it will acquire Zevalin, an FDA-approved radioimmunotherapy, from Biogen for $10 million in cash up front, up to $20 million more in milestone payments upon receiving approval for a first-line indication in NHL and royalties on sales. The FDA approved the drug in 2002 to treat patients with relapsed indolent non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL).
Cell Therapeutics will develop and market Zevalin in the U.S. It is sold outside the U.S. by Bayer Schering under and agreement between Biogen and Bayer Schering. Cell Therapeutics agreed to share the cost of certain clinical trials that may be undertaken with Bayer Schering.
"Acquiring Zevalin returns CTI to a select group of biotech companies who market and sell a commercial product in the United States. We see potential for substantial revenue growth for this product with additional clinical data and increased patient and physician knowledge about its potential in treating patients with NHL," said Cell Therapeutics CEO James Bianco.Cell Therapeutics was up just one cent, or 0.3%, at $3.48 at close. Biogen closed up 64 cents, or 1.1%, at $59.10. Covidien (COV) said Thursday that enhancements are available to its MRidium MRI Infusion System, a non-magnetic IV infusion pump. The enhancements allow operators to administer intravenous medication more efficiently. Covidien traded down 79 cents, or 2%, at $37.26. Investors were disillusioned with falling revenue-and-earning projections from Amgen (AMGN) on Thursday. The company responded Wednesday to pressures on chemotherapy-induced-anemia drug Aranesp's U.S. sales with a reconstruction plan that involved a 12% layoff. The stock gave up $1.41, or 2.8%, to 49.18. Amgen is a component of the Nasdaq biotechnology index, which was down 2.89, or 0.4%, to 784.36.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV