Thursday's Winners & Losers: FTD
Updated from 4:25 p.m. EDT
FTD Group (FTD) was among the NYSE's winners Thursday, jumping 8.6% after the provider of floral products posted fourth-quarter earnings that topped Wall Street's forecast.
The company reported a profit of $10.7 million, or 36 cents a share, on revenue of $169.8 million. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial expected earnings of 28 cents a share on revenue of $173.5 million. During the year-earlier period, the company earned $8.8 million, or 30 cents a share, on revenue of $141.5 million.
Looking ahead, FTD sees fiscal 2008 earnings of $1.18 a share on revenue of about $645 million. Analysts project earnings of $1.04 a share on revenue of $653.9 million. Shares were up $1.30 to $16.15.Estee Lauder (EL) slid 6.6% after the cosmetics maker posted disappointing fourth-quarter earnings and warned that first-quarter earnings would be well below expectations. The company earned $88.6 million, or 45 cents a share, on revenue of $1.76 billion. Analysts expected earnings of 50 cents a share on revenue of $1.72 billion. During the year-earlier quarter, the company earned $44.5 million, or 21 cents a share, on revenue of $1.6 billion. Last year's fourth-quarter results included charges totaling 28 cents a share. Looking ahead, Estee Lauder sees first-quarter earnings from continuing operations of 5 cents to 11 cents a share on revenue growth of 5% to 7%, implying revenue of $1.67 billion to $1.7 billion. Analysts project earnings of 33 cents a share on revenue of $1.7 billion. Shares were down $2.85 to $40.30.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV