Thursday's Tech Winners & Losers
Updated from 12:38 p.m. EDT
Intel edged down 0.5% after Credit Suisse upgraded shares of the chipmaker to outperform from underperform. The firm said that there is potential for margin expansion, a more favorable competitive landscape in the MPU sector and a strengthening corporate personal computer upgrade cycle, all of which should help shares of the stock. The broker also raised its target price on the stock to $35 from $22.50. Shares closed down 12 cents to $23.10.
Meanwhile, Network Appliance rose 4.6% after the maker of data storage devices posted first-quarter results that topped Wall Street's forecast and announced a big stock repurchase plan. The company posted adjusted earnings of $76 million, or 20 cents a share, on revenue of $689 million. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial expected earnings of 19 cents a share.Looking ahead, Network Appliance sees second-quarter adjusted earnings of 24 cents to 26 cents a share on revenue of $752 million to $768 million. Analysts project earnings of 24 cents a share on revenue of $743.2 million. Separately, the company announced that it would buy up to $1 billion in stock through a stock repurchase plan. The new buyback is in addition to the $200 million remaining through previous buyback programs. Shares closed up $1.11 to $25.27. As for the broader technology sector, the Nasdaq 100 was down 18.83 points, or 1%, to about 1846.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV