Why Mortgages Blew Up
More importantly, some borrowers previously priced out of the real estate market could qualify for a loan at the lower payment, but not at the higher one.
That's a factor at least some observers want to change. In a recent analysis of the housing crisis (summary here), Michael Larsen, an analyst with Weiss Research, lays out a nine-point plan to reform the industry, including a recommendation that lenders only qualify borrowers for loans at the larger "fully amortizing payment," thus reducing the risk of default.
Although the report lays much of the blame with lenders and regulators, it also takes aim at borrowers who blindly bought in to the rally, leveraging themselves "to the hilt," picking the "most aggressive" types of financing, he says.
"In the perfect world, [such loans make] a house affordable to someone who may not otherwise qualify," says Morris Armstrong, a personal-finance specialist at Armstrong Financial Strategies in Danbury, Conn. "In our world, it increases the risk of defaults and reduces equity ownership."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV