Wednesday's Financial Winners & Losers
Thornburg Mortgage (TMA) led the financial sector's shaky recovery Wednesday after the lately battered lender calmed investors' nerves via a TV interview.
President and chief operating officer Larry Goldstone said on CNBC Tuesday night that Thornburg "will survive this disruption" and that it has "no intention" of filing for bankruptcy. He also said the company isn't for sale despite the company's recent precipitous share-price drop. Shares of the Santa Fe, N.M., firm rocketed 42.2%, or $3.21, to $10.82.
Luminent Mortgage (LUM) seesawed back into the green by 18.6%, though the beleaguered mortgage investor was still trading at just 51 cents, and Impac Mortgage (IMH) shot up more than 14% after suspending funding on Alt-A loans -- those with borrowers who don't have prime credit. The Irvine, Calif., firm also swung to a wider-than-expected loss, but shares traded up 17 cents at $1.37.
Elsewhere, Lone Star extended its takeout bid for Accredited Home Lenders (LEND) by a couple of weeks to Aug. 28, as required under their merger agreement, and said it received preliminary tenders representing about 43% of the company's shares. Lone Star reiterated, however, Accredited's "failure to satisfy" all conditions for closing of the merger. Shares of the San Diego-based subprime lender surged 14.6% to $6.30.In brokerage action, Virginia-based insurer Genworth Financial (GNW) climbed 3.9% after Goldman Sachs reiterated its buy rating on the stock, saying shares have fallen too far amid fears regarding its mortgage-market exposure. Washington Federal (WFSL), a Seattle-based bank, rose 3.2% to $24.50 on a Friedman Billings upgrade to outperform.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV