Funds of ETFs Can Work for You
"People pay us a fee to choose the ETFs, so we don't want to pay another third party and add another layer of fees," says Mike Bartlow, a registered investment adviser at Money Map Advisors. The Houston firm manages portfolios built with ETFs and charges an annual fee no higher than 0.75%. "I wouldn't recommend these
If you've read this far and you really want a fund of ETFs, the best move is to join a fund supermarket platform and save some money by buying it yourself.
The best and oldest of the bunch is the $708 million AdvisorOne (CLSAX) Amerigo Fund (CLSAX) from CLS Investment Firm of Omaha, Neb. The fund, which was up 6.5% for the year through Monday compared with 2.44% for the S&P 500, overweights asset classes such as large-cap growth and international stocks.
While considered a large-cap blend by Morningstar -- which gives the fund four stars -- Amerigo holds a mix of large stocks, small stocks and emerging markets in about 25 ETFs. It has no constraints and the portfolio managers go wherever they think the returns are.Its top five holdings as of July 31 were the iShares Russell 1000 Growth Index (IWF), iShares MSCI EAFE Index (EFA), iShares MSCI Emerging Markets Index (EEM), Vanguard Mid-Cap ETF (VO) and iShares Russell MidCap Growth Index (IWP). The fund has an expense ratio of 1.41% and doesn't charge a load or sales commission. The minimum investment is $2,500.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV