Funds of ETFs Can Work for You
Exchange-traded funds are so hot that even mutual funds are buying them.
According to Morningstar, there are currently 23 funds that invest the majority of their assets in ETFs, which are portfolios of securities that trade throughout the day on an exchange. Most have been launched in the past 12 months. Eight are listed as target-date funds, which automatically rebalance into a more conservative mix of investments as investors approach retirement age. But all of them employ some kind of asset allocation strategy.
ETFs offer a number of advantages over mutual funds, including low costs, transparency and tax efficiency. But it's debatable whether funds that invest in ETFs, or "funds of ETFs," have any advantages over funds of mutual funds.
For people who have neither the time nor inclination to do their own investment research, both funds of mutual funds and funds of ETFs can fill a need -- the fund manager does all of the work for you. In the case of target-date funds, which are retirement-planning vehicles, the asset allocation will shift over time, lightening up on stocks and buying more bonds, as investors age.Target-date funds and other kinds of asset-allocation funds received a big boost from the Pension Protection Act of 2006, which allows employers to automatically enroll employees in 401(k) retirement plans, increase their savings over time, and put their assets in sensible long-term investments.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV