Monday's Late Winners & Losers
Monday's relatively quiet after-hours session saw mixed results, and among the big winners was rechargeable-battery maker China BAK Battery (CBAK), which leapt more than 30% on the possibility of a big-time deal.
BAK said it inked a non-binding letter of intent toward a signing a definitive supply contract with computer giant Hewlett-Packard (HPQ). Should an agreement result, BAK will allocate at least half of its monthly cylindrical lithium-ion battery-cell manufacturing capacity to H-P, which will use the products in its notebook-computer batteries. BAK shares were recently up $1.28 to $5.49; H-P ticked up 27 cents at $48.70.
STEC (STEC), which makes flash-memory products, among other things, surged 8.3% to $7.31 on better-than-expected earnings. The Santa Ana, Calif., company posted a nickel-a-share profit, or 3 cents higher than Wall Street expectations, according to Thomson Financial. Third-quarter guidance also leans to the higher end of consensus.
Shares of Luminent Mortgage (LUM), however, took more punishment after the beleaguered mortgage investor reported it has gotten default notices from eight more repo lenders. These, in turn, triggered a default under the asset-backed commercial paper issued by a Luminent affiliate and may catalyze another default regarding an indenture relating to $90 million in Luminent convertible senior bonds.The news come on the heels of last week's damaging revelation that Luminent received default notices from two other repo lenders. Shares of the San Francisco-based company plummeted 39.8% to 59 cents.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV