Pop Quiz: Are You Cheating Yourself?
4. Do you pay off your credit card balance every month? Credit cards
5. Do you max out your 401(k) match? If your company matches funds on contributions you make to your 401(k) plan, it's free money with a return far higher than you are likely to find anywhere else. You should make every effort to contribute the maximum amount the company will match.
6. Do you contribute the maximum amount to your IRA each year? The IRS offers a nice tax break for those who invest in an IRA -- either a tax break the year you contribute (standard IRA) or no taxes on the interest earned when you withdraw the money (Roth IRA). Either way, it's a tax perk that you should take full advantage of.
7. Do you direct deposit your paycheck and pay yourself first? If you try to save money after paying for all your other obligations, there often won't be enough money at the end of the month to save anything. If you pay yourself first, however, it's much more likely that you will make your budget work and have the savings at the end of the month. Doing that through direct deposit is one of the easiest ways to accomplish it. Pay yourself first to make sure that you put aside the savings you need -- in your 401(k), your
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV