Trump, Home Solutions Remain Clunkers
Editor's note: "Bricks and Mortar" is a series of columns written by real estate reporter Nicholas Yulico meant to help TheStreet.com readers generate real estate and gaming-related stock ideas.
Often, beaten-down stocks are in the garbage bin for a reason. They're not value stocks, but instead just bad stocks, with negative stories that may only get worse.
Casino operator Trump Entertainment (TRMP) and construction-management firm Home Solutions of America (HSOA) fall into this camp, and I continue to expect these stocks to disappoint investors in coming months.
Both companies, which I've flagged as poor stock picks for several months now in the Bricks and Mortar mock portfolio, reported earnings this week. Of the two, Trump is the slightly prettier story, while Home Solutions continues to master the art of limited disclosure.
Trump a Tough CallTrump Entertainment shares rallied sharply after the company reported its second-quarter results this week. But investors shouldn't take this as a sign that the Atlantic City casino operator's stock is a buy now. Trump's stock hit a 52-week low of $5.15 prior to its second-quarter report Tuesday, but it rebounded and is now trading around $6.90. The casino operator
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV