Thursday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Tarragon (TARR), a New York-based homebuilder, dove nearly 70% after announcing that liquidity issues have hindered the company from completing about $50 million in financing transactions that were previously expected to close this month. The firm said that this and other issues "raise doubt about Tarragon's ability to continue as a going concern." Shares were down $1.95 to 87 cents.
Shares of Home Diagnostics (HDIX) were losing a third of their value at $7.48 after the Florida-based firm reported that second-quarter income sank by 2 cents to 9 cents a share on slipping revenue of $28.1 million. The company, which makes blood-glucose-monitoring systems, also trimmed its 2007 profit guidance to between 60 cents and 64 cents a share, which compares with the prior range of 62 cents to 67 cents a share.
Apparel retailer Citi Trends (CTRN) also plunged on a soft earnings outlook. The Savannah, Ga., company pegged second-quarter income between 2 cents and 5 cents a share, primarily citing a negative same-store sales trend that began last month. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial are looking for 15 cents a share. Citi Trends shares slid 28.6% to $27.21.
H&E Equipment Services (HEES), a purveyor of heavy-construction and industrial equipment, posted a 23.1% drop in per-share income to 40 cents. That missed Wall Street estimates by a dime, according to Thomson Financial. Full-year guidance, at $1.59 to $1.67 a share, should fall short by at least 17 cents. Shares of the Baton Rouge, La., company were plunging 22.1% to $21.55.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV