Telik Fails Ethics Test
There were no apologies, no statements of regret from Telik (TELK) management on Wednesday night's quarterly conference call.
That's not necessarily surprising, but it is disappointing. After all, Telik CEO Michael Wick and Chief Medical Officer Gail Brown (who's also Wick's wife) are involved in one of the most serious ethical breaches of clinical trial research that I've ever come across in biotech.
In June, Telik
Telcyta was supposed to benefit these cancer patients; instead, desperate cancer patients died quicker than they should have.Wick, Brown and the rest of Telik's management team knew the disastrous results of the Telcyta clinical trials back in December 2006 -- five months before it was disclosed publicly -- yet they made the decision to keep the information secret. Telik didn't warn patients in other ongoing Telcyta studies, the company didn't tell the U.S. Food and Drug Administration about the deaths; it didn't tell investors or anyone else outside the company. The FDA has put a hold on further Telcyta clinical trials and the agency is
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV