Wednesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Small-cap stocks bounced higher than the broad market Wednesday, and among the biggest winners was Microtek Medical (MTMD).
Shares of the surgical-products maker soared 27.5% on word Ecolab (ECL) agreed to buy it for $6.30 a share in cash, or about $274 million. The deal, which represents a 34.3% premium to Tuesday's closing price, should complete during the fourth quarter. Microtek shares added $1.29 to $5.98 as Ecolab gained 0.8% at $42.97.
Cross Country Healthcare (CCRN), a Florida-based health-care staffer, leapt 22.4% to $18.27 after pegging third-quarter revenue at $181 million to $184 million -- higher than Thomson Financial's analyst consensus. Second-quarter earnings and revenue were both in line.
Superior Well Services' (SWSI) stock was also cheered on positive second-quarter financials. Per-share earnings improved by a third to 44 cents, or $10.2 million, in the second quarter, compared with analysts' 41-cent per-share projections. The Indiana, Pa., company, which sells well-site services to the oil and natural-gas industry, surged 20.5% to $21.80.On the other hand, James River Coal (JRCC) sustained heavy losses after its second-quarter loss more than quintupled year over year to $1.17 a share -- a far cry from Wall Street's 50-cent per-share loss prediction. The Richmond, Va., coal miner also posted slipping revenue of $131.9 million, which likewise falls short of expectations. Shares tumbled 42.9% to $5.21.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV